- Dyslexia can not be out grown. You will have it for life.
- Dyslexia is not rare. 1 in 5 people, that is 20%, are dyslexic.
- 80% of individuals who are diagnosed as learning disabled are actually dyslexic.
- Any child can receive classroom accommodations with a 504 plan if a diagnostic report is presented to the public school.
- Dyslexia can range from mild to moderate (classic) to severe to profound.
- There is NO quick fix. If someone promises to "cure" dyslexia in 4 - 8 weeks BEWARE!
- Repeating a grade will not help a dyslexic learn to read and spell. If they didn't get it the first time, they still won't get it the second time.
- Most teachers do not understand dyslexia. It is not taught in college as part of the teacher prep courses.
- Dyslexics have a larger brain than "normal" people. It is about 10% larger in the right hemisphere.
- Dyslexia is prevalent in all languages.
- Dyslexia can be detected in children as young as 5 - even before the child begins to read.
- Dyslexia can be remediated, meaning you can retrain your brain to read correctly, no matter how old you are.
- Texas does not wait for the child to fail before testing. They have passed a state law so that every struggling Kindergartener, 1st, and 2nd grader can be tested. If dyslexia is confirmed to be the cause the student works with a dyslexia remediation specialist using "research-based best practices", such as the Barton System. While the child is receiving this early intervention, they also receive accommodations on a 504 plan.
- The longer a child waits to get remediation, the longer it takes to catch up-Do Not Wait!
- Any Orton-Gillingham method will help a dyslexic learn to read. The most popular are:
- Barton Reading & Spelling System
- Herman Method
- Alphabetic Phonics
- Wilson Reading System
©Trysor Designs 2019